Thursday, May 15, 2014

Why I Stopped Reading Your SP Novel’s Advertisement


“Writers who believe in supporting Writers” is a Facebook group I’ve joined, just because I’m interested in seeing how people go about marketing their self-published work. I like clicking through the links, seeing what others are doing with their blogs, and what sort of concepts people write about. I also judge. Not harshly, but for the purposes of learning.

One trend I’ve noticed people doing is beginning advertisements with something like:

The Best Things in Life Sometimes Really Are Free!

Now Reduced to 99 Cents!

★★★★★ AMAZING OFFER, 100K PAGES FOR LESS THAN A BUCK! ★★★★★

So they begin with the cheap price, and then go into their cover pitch, but by then I’m already lost. You see, the price doesn’t matter to me. Ten times a dollar is still cheap entertainment (that's $10), and I can get almost any book I want in paperback for that amount. Ten is not much more than a buck.

What I don't have to waste is time. Nobody buys a book because it's cheap; people buy books because it interests them! I would pay 50 bucks if the book sounded interesting enough, so when I see an advertisement starting with the price I am already lost. Almost every self-published book usually drops to 99 cents, so my time is already being wasted by hearing it from you in your ad.

It seems like more people try to sell their self-published work by calling it cheap rather than pitching me on the actual story. That bugs me. Sell me on the book, not on the price. Tell us why your book is unique and interesting rather than beg and plead for someone, anyone to buy it.